Software products are classified as "desktop" and "server" products. The products we, as users, usually operate while we are doing our computer work are desktop products. For instance, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint developed by Microsoft are desktop products.
Server systems are advanced software technology platforms that offer wide working capacities and added functionalities; they help supported hardware and software products to gain better performance and attain additional different functionalities. Such additional functionalities are highly essential in the translation industry where confidential content is required to be translated in the shortest time and saved for reuse in the future and for this reason it becomes very useful to invest in server based systems.
As a brief description, server systems are usually preferred for the following reasons:
Security: Servers systems have a "registered user" concept that enables only previously added users to access the system. Users are assigned a "User Name" and "Password" by the administrator at the time when he/she introduces them to the system. Administrator is authorized to limit functions of a given user in general; a user may even be limited to see only one TM in the system not any others. No need to say that a user may be permitted to do all actions. In other words, it is possible, in a server system, to limit a user to be able to do only some of the functions and/or to connect to only one or more defined TMs; functions may well be limited and/or allowed for a given user in general. A limited user may access to only one TM even if there are hundreds of others TMs in the system.
- Speed: In computer technology, it is a general rule that the data flow speed drops with the increase of the number of users connected. Translation business is usually requires more than one users to connect to the same database. Therefore, translators working on the same translation project connect the same database at the same time and work. They simultaneously send data to the database and retrieve data from the same. The more is the number of translators connected to the same TM, the more data is send to and retrieved from the sytem. It is a general rule that the speed is monitored decreasing with more than 4 simultaneous connections to the same database. No need to say that there are several external factors to decreased the data flow speed; however, number of users is one of the factors to cause a lower speed. Server based systems help the data flow speed to get refreshed. Regardless the number of users access the system and where they access from, a user is able to work as if he/she is operating the software from his/her own computer.
- Access: With server based systems, it is possible to work with translation professionals from all over the world as if they are working physically in the same room with you. Project managers, translators, reviewers, terminologists, etc. all work around the same project configuration at tha same time. They connect to the same translation memories and/or termbases and utilize each others' content instantly refardless where they physically work from. A translation project is created on the server, all project files are located on the server and team members only receive an invitation to connect. You do not need to send your your TM. A translation agency does not need to send a whole TM to translators, which enables them to protect their capital. Authorized translmators get connection from their homes and translate their project onto the TM located in the server. The translator does not need to send a TM or any other files even after the assignment is completed. Translation is already there in your hand!
- Use of Licenses by External Resources: You are able to invite any external resources to work with SDL Trados even if they do not have a legal license. The only thing your translators without a valid license is to install a free version of SDL Trados onto his/her computer and connect your system. When they install the demo version of the software and connect to your system, they temporarily get one of your licenses and work easily. This allows you operate your licenses even during the night time which are idle normally. On the other hand, if your external resources have their own valid licenses for SDL Trados Studio, they are able to connect your server system without temporarily engaging your licenses as long as you have enough number of CALs. With or without a valid license, your resources can translate on your project connected on the same TM as if they have a valid professional edition which enables data share on a TM.
SDL Studio GroupShare is a platform which gives a ground for your servers to get installed. THere are 4 servers developed by SDL for 4 dfferent functions:
- Translation Memory (TM) Server: Gives a ground for management and sharing of translation memories across all resources.
- MultiTerm (MT) MT Server: Gives a ground for management and sharing of terminology across all resources.
- Project Server: Gives a ground for project management.
- MultiTerm Online: Enables publishing of and access to terminologies by the help of internet on a web browser without using SDL Trados Studio or SDL MultiTerm.
All server products may be installed on the SDL Studio GroupShare at once or well be installed separately later one by one additionally as you are ready for installment. The platform has a flexible architecture to allow you plan your investment around a long term. Licenses used by either project managers and/or translators or reviewers may be ordered in the number required at a time and may be increased later in parallel to arising requirements. Any time after the first intallation, any additional licenses purchased may be integrated into and used within the system easily.